Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sunday Afternoon

It is another glorious Sunday here in South Carolina. Temperatures in the sixties and full of sunshine. I went and bought Blake a tee ball bat and a super soft baseball yesterday so we could start hitting some. He did very well for a beginner. I got Alex a throwback net that anchors into the ground so he has something to throw at when he practices his pitching. It should work out fine as long as he continues to collect dog poop and keep it out of the way.

My afternoon was spent spraying the entire front yard with Roundup to kill everything in site. I have an evil genius master plan to overhaul what is there and reseed with bermuda grass. I have friend at work who bought a 25-lb. box of premium seed that contains three different types of bermuda for the ultimate yard (or so it says on their web page). He ended up changing his mind and doing nothing so he sold it tome for half off. Now I've had it for a year now and have done nothing so I figured it is now or never. I was just going to rent a tiller and rip up the whole yard and seed over the top, but I have another "yard guru" friend who said the weeds would be pretty bad if you didn't kill them first. Therefore, I sprayed Roundup today to primarily kill the weeds, but it will end up wiping out everything. Then I will till in June, probably have 3 yards of compost trucked in to spread over the top to serve as a seed bed, and then throw seed the likes than nobody has seen since Johnny Appleseed came strolling through. Then the watering starts in earnest. I can't wait to see the looks I start to receive from my neighbors after a week or two when the Roundup "nuking" takes shape. Some guy down the street had some sort of wacky grass that had to be burned out last fall sohe could start over so I'm not the only one.

I just realized that my face is sunburned. Oh well, take it easy and we'll talk at you later.

No comments: