Saturday, July 28, 2007

Squirrels

Hello everyone. Just a short update on squirrel hunting in my backyard. I have given up trying to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeder by friendly means and have resorted to shooting them with my BB gun. We have fed them corn on the back fence and I have gone as far as spiking the bird seed with packets of Capsaicin powder which I guess is ground up HOT chili peppers. A 1.5 ounce packet is suppose to treat 25 pounds of seed and deter the destructive critters, but it does not seem to work. What does work though is the powder getting in the wind and flying in my face where it goes to work instantly on the eyes and nose. Ever seen a grown man come inside crying and sneezing like crazy? Needless to say, I am done trying to be humane and am trying to transfer my pain to their butts. I have a scope and have gotten it zeroed in a little better at about 50 feet. Oscar gets them up a tree and I start drilling them as fast as I can. I had one the other day that I popped and before I could pump up another BB he decided to make a run for it. He is 15 feet high in this Bradford Pear and just bolts as fast as he could out on a branch and jumped as far as he could towards the fence. He landed about 20 feet away from the trunk of the tree where Oscar was up on his hind legs barking and by the time he figured out what happened the squirrel had already climbed the fence. I know their escape route now so I will have to try and position myself in between somehow. I really wish they would just leave and not come back. I hope they don't gang up on Oscar one day and kick his butt as a gangland reprisal. We'll see what happens....

No comments: