Sunday, March 09, 2008

Attrition

Today has been a day of wipe outs, bumps, and broken bones. After church Rion was running in the driveway and tripped....again. His nose and forehead took the brunt of the fall and scraped his face up good....again. He is a trooper and only cried for a minute, but it makes me hurt every time I look at him.


The kids are friends with another family up the street who have two kids and they are over their house playing quire a bit. Reagan and Blake were over there again this afternoon after Carrie went to work. Next thing I know, Reagan comes home with the neighbor Mom as an escort and is crying her eyes out. She said she tripped over the slide in their backyard and landed hard on her left arm. She said her elbow was killing her. I knew it was broke so we headed up to the ER to see Carrie and let her handle it. I had to go back home as Alex was left home with Rion who was taking a nap. We got confirmation that her elbow was broken, even though Carrie couldn't really see anything on the x-ray. Hold on and let me find the orthopedic guy's diagnosis from thr x-ray:

There is a fracture either involving the physis or supracondylar
region of the distal humerus which has minimal posterior displacement
and no angulation. The elbow joint is intact. Associated effusion
is present. No other fractures or subluxations. The wrist and elbow
joints are intact.


Say that fast five times, huh? So, I left to go pick her back up from the ER with Rion in tow this time and was worried the hospital staff was going to call child services on us. One daughter has a broken arm and the little one looks like he lost a fight with a belt sander!

Anyway, they said they didn't want to put the cast on until the swelling went down so she has to go tomorrow at 0745 to get the "pink" cast we presume. They prescribed Loratab for the pain and it seems to be working good as she was back to chattering her head off again in no time.

The neighbors, who I hope don't feel responsible, offered to take Blake and Alex out to eat with them to help me with the logistics of the day. I said sure as dinner wasn't going to happen here anyway it seemed. They go to some restaurant and Blake kicks his head back while laughing and nails it on the corner of something. he came home with a knot the size of a golf ball. You could actually see it from a distance if his head was turned the right way. I got them to bed as quick as possible once they all got home in case something else bad happened. Just hoping Carrie gets back safe and sound.

No comments: